A non-structural seismic mitigation program consists of key elements such as; Seismic Risk Assessments, component selection, Seismic Engineering, Retrofit Cost Estimating, Installation Quality Assurance and Mitigation tracking and documentation.
Non-structural components, or Operational and Functional Components (OFCs), can be divided into three categories:
- Architectural (external and internal),
- Building services (mechanical, plumbing, electrical, and telecommunication), and
- Building contents (common and specialized).
There are three primary risks associated with the failure and/or dislocation of OFCs in a building:
- Life safety of the occupants, Functionality and performance of the facility, and Property loss.
- Even during low to moderate intensity ground shaking, when there is little or no damage to the structure, failure of non-structural components is common. There are numerous methods for quantifying the risk levels of OFCs. The Canadian Standards Association (CSA) released a seismic risk assessment guideline known as CSA S832-06, which considers soil conditions, seismic zone, aspect ratio, flexibility, building type, quality of existing seismic restraint, pounding potential, business continuity/resumption, and life safety to occupants. The outcome of this assessment, the total risk, is the product of vulnerability and consequences. Once the non-structural components within a building have been listed, they can be tabulated and sorted by risk level. This methodology aids the owner of the facility in prioritizing his/her seismic mitigation efforts.
- The principles that have been developed and refined for structural engineering can be utilized in the engineering of non-structural seismic restraints.
Nonstructural Components can be secured by The EQ Restraint Technologies Product. Applications include:
- Medical Equipment
- Lab Equipment
- Fume Hoods
- Biosafety Cabinets
- Blanket Warmer
- Electrical Equipment
- Mechanical Equipment
- Air Handling Unit (AHU)
- Telecommunication units
- Server Rack
- Building contents
- Vending Machine
- Copy Machine
- Domestic refrigerators
- Kitchen Equipment (ie industrial Kitchen Equipment in the hospital)
- Deep Freezer